Sunday, November 14, 2010

OUCH!!

I'm a bit late on posting this - but Jessa broke her wrist during PE basketball drills on Tuesday, November 2cnd. She was running backwards on the asphalt and .......... well I'm sure you can imagine the rest. When I came to school to pick her up she was in a lot of pain, obviously, but not a tear! What a tough girlie!! It looked like she had broken both wrists and I was concerned about her left elbow being broken too. She couldn't even hold a water bottle in either hand or buckle her own seat belt.
After a some Motrin (ahhh....) her sense of humor came back and she toughed out the next several hours at the ER Clinic. They did the exams and x-rays and sent us home with a brace for her right wrist. Two days later, we go to see the orthopedic and spend another four hours getting another set of x-rays. The diagnosis was a clean fracture of the right wrist. The left wrist was not broken but just sprained and we were told the x-rays of the left elbow suggested a "silent fracture" but the doctor pointed out that Jessa was not having near the level of pain that a fracture would produce.
It was a difficult morning and they boys were beyond crazed being stuck in that tiny room (where they could not touch anything) for so long. I did my absolute best to keep them happy and entertained and quiet. We took walks down the hall and told stories and talked about Mr. Bones the plastic skeleton who was in the x-ray room. We left with three exhausted kiddos, one pretty green cast and one tired out mama.
Fast forward a week to Friday (12th) and we went to Jessa's follow-up appointment. The doctor was happy with how the bone set had was healing but said her cast was now too loose after the swelling had subsided. So, Jess got a new cast (green again) after just one week.
Unfortunately, the doc who has been treating Jessa doesn't seem to like little children. (Hey, everyone has their own issues, right?) I'm sure he didn't try to do it - but he pinched Zachy's fingers in the door. He did not apologize - just told me to get the screaming baby out of the room so he could work on Jessa's new cast. The nurses were upset....they were following me down the hall, offering ice and toys and suckers and stickers. Zach was fine - not any permanent damage. Jessa was upset that the doctor had hurt her little brother. I was frustrated that he didn't even seem to notice how good they were behaving and bummed that they didn't get to watch the casting for the second time around. So for our appointment next week - guess what "Dr. Who-Doesn't-Like-Kids" - I'm bringing them ALL back and we will ALL sit in your tiny little room again and be on our nicest behavior. Obviously, having kids around is punishment enough for you!

3 comments:

The Reed Empire said...

Jessa.... take full advantage of the cast.. you will be queen of the tetherball court. When I was around your age, I broke my right wrist. In my days though, we still used plaster, which is a lot heavier than the fibercast they use now.

Jo-Anne said...

Owww! I hope Jessa feels better soon and little Zach's fingers are okay. =/
P.S. I love the green cast!

Unknown said...

You go Heather! That doctor needs to be taken down a notch!!!! I hope Jessa and Zach feel better!