Monday, September 28, 2009

Zachariah


Last week we had Zach in for his 7 month visit and he is getting to be a big boy! He is 29 inches long and 22lbs 11oz. His growth has actually slowed a bit because he is in the 93 percentile now instead of being off the charts. He seems to be right on track for all of those important milestones of development. However, the doctor was a bit concerned about his skull growth/development. So we have an appointment scheduled with a specialist tomorrow to get a better idea what is going on.
For those of you who might not recall, Zachy was born with what we lovingly referred to as his "Cling-On" forehead. Basically, he just got squished coming through the birth canal and it caused the skull plates to overlap a bit. The doctors and nurses reassured us that this was perfectly OK, that this happens in about 20 percent of births and that things would work themselves out.
Being the neurotic mom that I am, I've had this condition rechecked at every visit. We actually had a series of skull x-rays done before moving back from Texas (they came back normal).
But now it is looking like perhaps the skull bone is now healing together sooner than it should, a condition that is called craniosynostosis. If this is truly what is going on, Zach will need to have surgery to reopen the bone plate sutures to allow the brain to grow properly. I've been told that this surgery, while major, is highly successful.
While there is a huge part of me that feels really freaked out by all this, I'm so thankful that we live in a country where my baby can get the medical help that he needs. So we will update all of you just as soon as we know the details of what we are looking at. Thanks in advance for all the prayers and support!!

5 comments:

ashley boom said...

Super sweet picture of that Zachers! We are praying. What time is your apt tomorrow?

erica said...

My mom let me know about Zach's appointment and I was praying all day. Hope everything turns out well, and we'll keep praying no matter what!!

Sir Gavin said...

The brothas are prayin' too. Love you guys... I got the latest from mom today, but I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Jane said...

Wanted to know we are praying too. Thanks for posting a picture--he is super-duper cute!

Jane said...

oops-you know what I meant--wanted you to know we are praying