Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Backseat Driver

Today I had to take Josh to the doctor. So, being a bit frazzled and behind schedule (due to having to change TWO diapers when I needed to be walking out the door) we rush off to make our appointment.
My sweet three year old son is in the back seat, talking a mile a minute. I catch myself starting to get irritated when he repeats things over and over and over. "Mom, those guys are building a hotel." He points to the construction crews. "Yes, that's right." I answer him. "They build that hotel. That hotel. That hotel. They are building it. That's a hotel." He repeats just in case I didn't catch it on the first go around. "Uh huh, yes Honey. Hotel." I am trying to change lanes.
Then he starts in on my driving. "You go faster Mom!" He demands. He yells out the colors of the stoplights, even the ones that are on the side streets. Then he points and commands from his booster seat, "You turn here Mom!" or "You go on that bridge, you drive there okay?" Or he makes note of the road that we are on; telling me if it's curving up ahead or going straight.
As our lane of traffic starts to merge onto the freeway, Josh is upset that I'm not going faster. I tell him that there are other cars in front of me and a big rig too. I explain that we have to wait our turn. I'm on the Mom-Autopilot, because mentally I'm calculating if we will be on time for the appointment or if we will be about 3 minutes late. Joshy continues to chatter away about my driving and the cars around us.
Finally we are on the freeway and I've gotten stuck behind the big rig. I check my mirrors, look over my shoulder and start to pass it. Our little minivan is gaining speed as we cruise past the truck. My son calls out from the back seat, "Watch out, Mom. There's a cop up there." I glance quickly at my speed. I'm scanning the cars in front of me, checking the median and shoulder area of the freeway for State Troopers before I realize what he actually just said.
Wait a second.... WHAT? Now where did that come from?! I look in the rear view mirror at my innocent little blonde-haired boy. I think he's been driving around with his dad a bit too much.

8 comments:

karenmarie said...

Heather, kids are quick and the things that they know leaves you wondering where did they learn that.Times moves by too quick to pass up these types om moments. Miss you all.

Love Karen

The Zone said...

Karen,
Yes - it does go too quickly! I think I drive my family nuts with all the photos that I take but I don't want to forget any of these moments!
Hugs to you all! Sure miss you too!
Love, Heather

karenmarie said...

Heather,

You can't drive us nuts with too many photos I love to see how your all are doing. I need to get beter at updating my blog. I will updating it this weekend. Give all the kids a hug from us. Take care and please don't stop posting, I would miss it very much :-)

ashley boom said...

This story made me laugh!! I can just picture lil Joshy directing you through traffic, warning you of cops, etc. I could have used him today when a parking officer gave me a ticket in Sac. Maybe I should blog about that one....

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! I read it out loud to Chris because I got such a kick out of it. :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Don uses him as his "cop lookout" ... too funny!!

HarperHabitat said...

That's a keeper. Great story and great writing! LOL

The Reed Empire said...

Man, driving with Josh is like driving with Nick! But in the truck he's side seat driving! LOL!