Saturday, August 30, 2008

Wandering Thoughts from a Tired, Fat Lady

Tonight I am bone-weary. In fact, saying that I feel exhausted is just not going to cut it. I spent my day trying to catch up on three months of housework that went by the wayside because I had to take a Icky-Sicky break. Now that I am feeling better (thank God for that!) I can't help but notice everything that didn't get done.

But mucking around the house with a mop and bucket, bending, reaching, scrubbing and repeated vacuuming sessions are just that much harder when your belly is growing by the minute and throwing off your sense of balance too! Nothing like finding yourself bending over to pick up something and realizing "Whoa boy! I'm just going to keep on going over!" Maybe I need some belly training wheels until I remember how to do the prego waddle.

Anyway - I found myself going from room to room, starting one thing and then being distracted to yet another mess. This is a horrible trap to get sucked into because nothing ever gets completed. I started a load of laundry and thought, "Gosh, I need to wipe off the washer and dryer." They were pretty grimy. So I head to the kitchen to get a washrag and realize, "Oh yeah, the dishes." So I was clearing off the breakfast mess from the counters and I noticed that I need to wash down the fridge. I started on that and realized I really needed to put away the medicines that have collected on the top of the fridge (out of reach from little hands). So I go to put the medicines away and realize the pantry desperately needs to be cleaned out and the shelves wiped down. And why is there splattered and dried food on the inside of the pantry doors? Just what has Joshy been up too anyways?! Oh look. There are two sippy cups hidden behind the cereal boxes. I was wondering where those had gone.

In utter disgust, I throw my head back in defeat. How could things have gotten this bad? Why am I the only one in this family who cleans up around here? So there I stand, staring at the ceiling, and feeling sorry for myself. And I couldn't help but see....... hmmmmm............how long has it been since I cleaned out that light fixture??

As much as I'd like to pretend that I am usually the greatest housekeeper - well - you all know me and nobody is going to buy that one. Besides, who wants to be known as the neurotic clean freak who won't let anyone actually 'live' in the house!

So tomorrow is the the Lord's Day and if God said it was a day of rest - well - who am I to argue! I am really looking forward to a quiet day of relaxing. Now if someone would just get me some dark glasses that will help to fade the mess into the background, I'll be all set!

2 comments:

erica said...

Oh boy, do I know how you feel! I was suddenly realizing yesterday that there are cobwebs in our blinds and food stuck on the inside of our pantry door (we don't even have kids!) and kitty litter all over the laundry room and soap scum in the shower and the list goes on and on and on... And it's just not that easy to do some of the housework that needs to get done! More than once I've bent over to grab something from the floor and suddenly remembered (by the pain in my abdomen) that there is a little person camping out in my midsection who is making it very difficult to bend over. Oh well, who needs a spotless house anyway, right? :) I sure love you and am glad to hear that you're feeling better! Post some pics of you soon!!

HarperHabitat said...

I just have to say I love your personal thoughts... And you are sooo not alone! Thank you for sharing 'cause I was thinking I was the only one! Of course you actually have an excuse!