Saturday, August 23, 2008

Some Hair Problems....

Well - we made our first attempt to chemically "relax" Jessa's curly hair. We went to the salon supply store, spoke with a very helpful woman who gave us all the right things to use, and came home with high hopes. I was a bit nervous to try this on my own but - being ever cheap as I am - the $20 for the at home version versus the $160 at the salon just couldn't be argued with. We waited until Daddy could handle Joshy (the monkey-man) and then plugged into our girly project. Jessa watched the movie Grease while I carefully combed and parted and slathered sections of hair with chemical goop. Then I massaged the hair, pulling it as straight as I could. According to the instructions, which I read three times, this is what helps the chemicals straighten the hair shaft. Uh huh. Sure. Then we rinsed, being careful to not scrunch the hair. We rinsed with special ph balanced shampoo that was supposed to stop all the chemicals. Then we deep conditioned. Then, next morning, Jessa shampooed and did her regular conditioning. So, this is a picture of a very brave girl who was facing the reality that our project did NOT work.
NOT AT ALL. Curls are still there.......frizzy and fuzzies and curls. I'd be lying to say she didn't have some tears but what girl hasn't cried about their own hair at one point in time, right? It wouldn't be such a difficult thing to deal with if her hair didn't require so much time and effort EVERYDAY to keep it from getting super-poofy. She has beautiful and thick hair that people dream about. It's just that when you are 10 years old, that's a lot to handle. If anyone out there has some wonderful ideas - please - Jessa is getting desperate!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uff da ... what a headache. I think hair is so annoying. Do you ever flat iron her hair? I know it is a big pain, but it is the only way to keep mine straight. Usually, if I flat iron it, it looks good for two days w/o washing.

The Zone said...

Yeah - the flat iron every other day is our regular routine. However, it takes soooooo long because she has such thick and long hair so it's a two hour ordeal (if you count washing and drying) and she HATES HATES HATES it!
I did't realize you had any curl to your hair! You do an excellent job with that good ole flat iron!!

Kayla said...

hi its me kayla you went to my blog and asked me to look at yours so i am you have a cool blog! i was reading about you and it said one of your fav movies is lord of the rings! i just LOVE that movie! me and my friend talk about it All the time! i will vist your blog often

erica said...

I have the same "syndrome" as Jessa of having very thick hair that has a curly/wavy layer underneath, and one fairly straight layer on top. The only thing that works for me is getting my hair thinned when I go in for cuts (at least at my salon, this doesn't add any to the cost of a regular hair cut), and biting the bullet and purchasing a very good quality hair straightener. It used to take me about 45 minutes to straighten my hair (which, when it takes over 15 minutes to dry, feels like a very long time), and with my new good quality straightener, it only takes me about 10 minutes - or less. SO WORTH THE MONEY! I bought a ghd straightener (it stands for good hair day, and it definitely makes good on that promise) and am so pleased with it. I've used it 3-4 times a week for about 18 months and haven't had any problems at all. The only bad thing that I've heard about chemical relaxing treatments is that they grow out just like a perm would, and so even if the bottom half of your hair is still straight, you still get poufiness on top. So there's my two cents, and whew, that was a long comment! :)